[ Decca Music Group / 2 CD ]
Release Date: Thursday 9 August 2012
This item is currently out of stock. We expect to be able to supply it to you within 2 - 4 weeks from when you place your order.
Celebrating the serene mysticism of the music of Estonian composer Arvo Pärt, this double-disc collection brings together his best-known works with lesser-known masterpieces.
Celebrating the serene mysticism of the music of Estonian composer Arvo Pärt, this double-disc collection brings together his best-known works (such as the ever-popular Spiegel im Spiegel) with lesser-known masterpieces (the haunting My Heart's in the Highlands being a fine case in point).
Largely drawn from the Decca and Deutsche Grammophon catalogues, Serenity: The Beauty of Arvo Pärt includes seven brand new recordings with Nigel Short conducting the award-winning Tenebrae in Cantate Domino and the English Chamber Orchestra in orchestral works including the famous Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten - an outstanding example of Pärt's "tintinnabulation" style.
1. Summa -- English Chamber Orchestra (5:00)
2. Passio Secundum Sancta Johannes -- Tonus Peregrinus (3:50)
3. Et Ex Illa Hora Accepit Eam Discipulus in Sia -- Tonus Peregrinus (4:02)
4. Festina Lente -- English Chamber Orchestra (7:46)
5. The Woman With the Alabaster Box (1997) -- The Sixteen (6:07)
6. Seven Magnificat Antiphons / O Weisheit -- The Sixteen (1:47)
7. Tabula Rasa: 1. Ludus: Con Moto -- Gil Shaham (9:52)
8. Tabula Rasa: 2. Silentium: Senza Moto -- Gil Shaham (13:16)
9. Spiegel im Spiegel, Performed on Violin and Harp -- Gidon Kremer (9:43)
1. Spiegel im Spiegel -- Nicola Benedetti (9:49)
2. Pärt: Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten -- English Chamber Orchestra (6:14)
3. Pärt: Für Alina -- Various Artists (2:29)
4. My Heart's in the Highlands (2000) -- Stephen Wallace (7:35)
5. Päat: Cantate Domino -- Tenebrae (2:15)
6. Fratres for Violin, String Orchestra and Percussion -- Gil Shaham (9:53)
7. Pärt: the Beatitudes -- English Chamber Orchestra (5:30)
8. Nunc Dimittis (2001) -- Choir of St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (6:35)
9. Magnificat -- English Chamber Orchestra (5:30)
10. De Profundis -- The Sixteen (6:29)