[ Vostok / CD ]
Release Date: Friday 1 December 2017
We don’t have this item in our warehouse or stores at the moment, but the supplier has stock. We should be able to get it to you in 4 - 7 business days from when you order it.
Heed The Call! collects the best New Zealand soul, funk and disco cuts from the afrotastic days of 1973 to 1983.
Artists like Mark Williams whose House For Sale became a sought after northern Soul single, The (three) Yandall Sisters (two of whom are pictured behind Mark WiIlliams on the cover), a teenage Tina Cross, Dalvanius & Prince Tui Teka, all became household names in New Zealand.
The collection mines some overlooked nuggets from their respective catalogues alongside lesser known boogie cuzzins The Pink Family with their non-secular floor sizzler Don't Give Your Life Away, the gritty gospel soul of Sonia & Skee, The Johnny Rocco Band, Inbetweens, and The Totals.
The Kaukau brothers were four fifths of Golden Harvest who hit the national charts with the number one I Need Your Love in 1978 which featured new addition 17 year old Karl Gordon fronting the band.
Local 60s beat pioneer Larry Morris fresh out of the big house after a public LSD misdemeanour finds his groove on Who Do We Think We're Fooling.
Funk dynamos Collision hail from Tokoroa, and in an earlier incarnation were known as The Shriek Machine, move to Australia on Dalvanius' insistence to record the showstopper You Can Dance.
Early 70s Acid Rockers Ticket flaunt their funky flare(s) with their Vertigo single only release Mr Music (later covered by Collision).
The windy city jazzmen The 1860 Band take form fitting self promoting t-shirts to the next level while re- interpreting Rita Jean Bodine's Thats The Kind Of Love.
Compiled by Alan Perrott and John Baker, with liner notes by Alan Perrott based on interviews with actual participants in the recordings.
1. Dalvanius And The Fascinations - Voodoo Lady Disco Version
2. Collision - You Can Dance
3. Mark Williams - Disco Queen
4. The Johnny Rocco Band - She's Knocking At My Door
5. The 1860 Band - That's The Kind Of Love I've Got For You
6. Inbetweens - Mr. Funky
7. Tina Cross - You Can Do It
8. Golden Harvest - I Need Your Love
9. Mark Williams - A House For Sale
10. The Pink Family - Don't Give Your Life Away
11. Prince Tui Teka - Heed The Call
12. The Yandall Sisters - Sweet Inspiration
13. Sonia & Skee - There's A River Somewhere
14. Ticket - Mr. Music
15. Larry Morris - Who Do We Think We're Fooling
16. Herb McQuay - Night People
17. The Totals - Total Man