[ EMI Music / CD ]
Release Date: Monday 30 August 2004
Should this item be out of stock at the time of your order, we would expect to be able to supply it to you within 2 - 4 weeks.
WINNER OF 8 GRAMMY AWARDS 2005! The great man's final recording, featuring duets with Norah Jones, James Taylor, Diana Krall, Elton John, Natalie Cole, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Michael McDonald, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Johnny Mathis, and Van Morrison.
WINNER OF 8 GRAMMY AWARDS 2005:
Record Of The Year - Here We Go Again (Ray Charles & Norah Jones)
Album Of The Year - Genius Loves Company
Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals - Here We Go Again (Ray Charles & Norah Jones)
Best Pop Vocal Album - Genius Loves Company
Best Gospel Performance - Heaven Help Us All (Ray Charles & Gladys Knight)
Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical - Genius Loves Company
Best Surround Sound Album - Genius Loves Company
Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) - Over The Rainbow
(Ray Charles & Johnny Mathis)
During a career that spanned nearly six decades, the late, great Ray Charles has appeared on more than 250 recordings.
He was the musician most responsible for developing soul music by merging '50s R&B with gospel-powered vocals, adding plenty of flavor from contemporary jazz, blues, and (in the '60s) country. Then there was his singing; his style was among the most emotional and easily identifiable of any 20th-century performer, up there with the likes of Elvis and Billie Holiday. He was also a superb keyboard player, arranger, and bandleader.
While he performed with various artists, Genius Loves Company is Ray Charles' final recording and ONLY full album of duets.
This historic CD features 12 duets with an array of artists, who have won a combined 79 Grammy Awards, from virtually every music genre. Genius Loves Company was recorded over a period of one year and completed in March 2004, just prior to Charles' passing.
"I've recorded with so many amazing artists in my career but never on a duets album of my own. I thought it was time to have some of the friends that I love and the artists that I admire come into my studio and sing with me live, the way we did it in the old days."
- Ray Charles, March 2004, on the genesis of Genius Loves Company.
1. Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones)
2. Sweet Potato Pie (Featuring James Taylor)
3. You Don't Know Me (Featuring Diana Krall)*
4. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Featuring Elton John)*
5. Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole)*
6. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (Featuring Bonnie Raitt)*
7. It Was A Very Good Year (Featuring Willie Nelson)
8. Hey Girl (Featuring Michael McDonald)
9. Sinner's Prayer (Featuring B.B. King)
10. Heaven Help Us All (Featuring Gladys Knight)
11. Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Featuring Johnny Mathis)
12. Crazy Love (Featuring Van Morrison)*
Produced by John Burk except * Produced by Phil Ramone