[ Naxos / CD ]
Release Date: Friday 1 May 2009
Should this item be out of stock at the time of your order, we would expect to be able to supply it to you within 4 - 7 business days.
"A splendid addition to what is now an indispensable cycle."
(MusicWeb June 2009)
Although Szymanowski later dubbed his First Symphony a "contrapuntal-harmonic-orchestral monster" and disavowed the influence of Wagner, Reger and Richard Strauss (also evident in the opulent Concert Overture), it is an astonishingly powerful work by a composer only in his mid-20s and still enthralls a century after its première.
He described his Fourth Symphony as "nearly a concerto" owing to the piano's prominent rôle, its highly-charged Neo-baroque character inviting comparison with Stravinsky.
The Naxos recordings of 8570724, Szymanowski's Stabat Mater, is nominated in the Choral catagory of the BBC Music Awards 2009.
1. Concert Overture, Op. 12 00:13:52
Symphony No. 1 in F minor, Op. 15
2. I. [Allegro moderato] 00:09:58
3. II. Finale: Allegretto con moto grazioso 00:08:42
Symphony No. 4, Op. 60, "Symphonie Concertante"
4. I. Moderato - Tempo comodo 00:11:26
5. II. Andante molto sostenuto 00:09:37
6. III. Allegro non troppo, ma agitato ed ansioso 00:07:00
7. Study in B flat minor, Op. 4, No. 3 (arr. G. Filtelberg for orchestra) 00:06:43
Total Playing Time: 01:07:18