[ Decca Classics / CD ]
Release Date: Thursday 23 February 2012
This item is currently out of stock. It may take 6 or more weeks to obtain from when you place your order as this is a specialist product.
With this release, Nicola Benedetti has recorded two giants of the violin concerto repertoire, the Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major, op.35 and Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, op.26.
The Tchaikovsky and Bruch concertos, composed in 1878 and 1866 respectively, are two of the best-known - and best-loved - concertos in the repertoire. In the case of the Tchaikovsky it is also one of the most technically demanding.
Although this is Benedetti's fifth album, this is her first of entirely standard violin repertoire. With this disc, she has recorded works against which all violinists must test themselves.
"Nicola Benedetti can be proud of this disc...there's a flexibility, a confidence and a rapport here that makes for consistently rewarding listening...hers is so well thought-out an interpretration [of the Tchaikovsky] and it's so alertly accompanied that it merits serious attention: it is a performance that has few quirks but bags of conviction" (International Record Review)
1. Violin Concerto in D Opus 35: I Allegro Moderato
2. Violin Concerto in D Opus 35: II Canzonetta: Andante
3. Violin Concerto in D Opus 35: III Finale Allegro Vivacissimo
4. Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor Opus 26: I Vorspiel: Allegro Moderato
5. Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Opus 26: II Adagio
6. Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Opus 26: III Finale: Allegro Energico