[ Deutsche Grammophon / 2 CD ]
Release Date: Saturday 1 June 2019
Should this item be out of stock at the time of your order, we would expect to be able to supply it to you within 2 - 4 weeks.
• Pianist Evgeny Kissin is teaming up with Emerson String Quartet for a chamber music live recording from sold out Carnegie Hall, in April 2018.
• A super star fusion of musicians performing mesmerizing repertoire: an exquisite Fauré, a stormy Mozart and a sweepingly sensual Dvořák.
• This is a rare moment in which one of the world's most acclaimed pianists can be witnessed as a chamber musician. Thus, this recording, presenting Kissin and the ESQ performing chamber music repertoire, constitutes a novelty in DG's catalogue.
• With 9 Grammy Awards and 3 Gramophone Awards to date, the Emerson String Quartet bestrides the world of chamber music like a colossus.
• They are without a question among the world's most impressive string quartets and, founded in 1976, playing today as passionate and inquisitive as ever.
• The idea to play together, reaches back a couple of years, and has been immediately embraced enthusiastically by all five musicians.
• They then went on a tour including concerts in Paris, Munich, Vienna, Boston and New York in 2018.
"The set is launched with a striking reading of Mozart's G minor Piano Quartet, its already dramatic beginning given an even more chiselled profile thanks to the precision of the Emerson and Kissin's vehement accentuation… The more effective piece is the encore: the Scherzo from Shostakovich's Piano Quintet, where all concerned let rip to bracingly dramatic effect." Gramophone
Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, K478
Faure: Piano Quartet No. 1 in C minor Op. 15
Dvorak: Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81
Shostakovich: Piano Quintet in G minor, Op. 57