[ Rhino / Warner / 3 CD ]
Release Date: Friday 20 November 2020
Eric Clapton, one of the world's pre-eminent blues/rock guitarists, once again summoned an all-star team of six-string heroes for his fifth Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2019. Held at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, the two-day concert event raised funds for the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, the chemical dependency treatment and education facility that Clapton founded in 1998.
Following a six-year hiatus, the festival returned reenergized with outstanding performances by Clapton, James Bay, Jeff Beck, Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Andy Fairweather Low, Peter Frampton, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, Lianne La Havas, Los Lobos, John Mayer, Keb' Mo', Bonnie Raitt, Robert Randolph, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Jimmie Vaughan and more.
Throughout the show, Clapton shared the stage with others to perform some of his best-known songs, including "Layla" with John Mayer, plus acoustic versions of "Wonderful Tonight" and "Lay Down Sally" with Andy Fairweather Low. Clapton also paid tribute to his late friend George Harrison with a searing rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Peter Frampton.
The Crossroads' line-up offered an impressive mix of performers, with legends like Bonnie Raitt, James Burton, Robert Cray, and Jeff Beck (whose outstanding cover of The Beach Boys' "Caroline, No" was a festival high point); contemporary stars Gary Clark Jr., Robert Randolph and Sheryl Crow; as well as rising talents The Marcus King Band, Tom Misch, and Lianne La Havas.
Naturally, the on-stage collaborations provided some of the most compelling moments. Highlights include a cover of The Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by Doyle Bramhall II, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Jim Keltner and actor Bill Murray (the festival's M.C.); Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang ripping through Guy's classic "Cognac"; and a version of the Merle Haggard hit "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" by Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, and dobro master Jerry Douglas. For the encore, Clapton returned to the stage to lead ensemble performances of Prince's "Purple Rain" and Joe Cocker's "High Time We Went."
The first Crossroads Benefit Concert took place in 1999 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Crossroads Guitar Festival made its debut in 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. That sold-out show was chronicled in a two-disc DVD that has since gone on to become one of the world's top-selling music DVDs, achieving the 10x platinum mark in the United States alone. The subsequent DVD sets met similar acclaim. The 2007 collection was certified 6x platinum; the 2010 set was certified 3x platinum; and the 2013 set was certified platinum. Since 2004, The Crossroads Guitar Festival has been held every three years except in 2016.
The festival was also the launch pad for the global 'Turn Up For Recovery' movement, which is helping bring awareness of abstinence based recovery and raise funds to provide treatment at Crossroads for those in need.
2. Native Stepson - Sonny Landreth
3. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton & Andy Fairweather Low
4. Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton & Andy Fairweather Low
5. Million Miles - Bonnie Raitt, Keb' Mo' & Alan Darby
6. Son's Gonna Rise - Citizen Cope with Gary Clark Jr.
7. Lait / De Ushuaia A La Quiaca - Gustavo Santaolalla
8. I Wanna Be Your Dog - Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks, Band
9. That's How Strong My Love Is - Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks Band
10. Lift Off - Tom Misch
11. Cognac - Buddy Guy & Jonny Lang
12. Everything Is Broken - Sheryl Crow & Bonnie Raitt
13. Every Day Is A Winding Road - Sheryl Crow with James Bay
14. Retrato - Daniel Santiago & Pedro Martins
15. B-Side - Kurt Rosenwinkel with Pedro Martins
16. Baby, Please Come Home - Jimmie Vaughan with Bonnie Raitt
17. How Long - The Marcus King Band
18. Goodbye Carolina - The Marcus King Band
19. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Peter Frampton with Eric Clapton
20. Space For The Papa - Jeff Beck
21. Big Block - Jeff Beck
22. Caroline, No - Jeff Beck
23. Cut Em Loose - Robert Randolph
24. Hold Back The River - James Bay
25. When We Were On Fire - James Bay
26. Mas y Mas - Los Lobos
27. Am I Wrong? - Keb' Mo'
28. Slow Dancing In A Burning Room - John Mayer
29. How Blue Can You Get? - Tedeschi Trucks Band
30. Shame - Tedeschi Trucks Band
31. Is Your Love Big Enough - Lianne La Havas
32. I Say A Little Prayer - Lianne La Havas
33. Feed The Babies - Gary Clark Jr.
34. I Got My Eyes On You (Locked & Loaded) - Gary Clark Jr.
35. Pearl Cadillac - Gary Clark Jr.
36. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down - Vince Gill with Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
37. Tulsa Time - Vince Gill with Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
38. Drifting Too Far From The Shore - Bradley Walker with Vince Gill, Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
39. Badge - Eric Clapton
40. Layla - Eric Clapton with John Mayer & Doyle Bramhall II
41. Purple Rain - Eric Clapton & Ensemble
42. High Time We Went - Eric Clapton & Ensemble
Going Going Gone - Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks Band